Thursday, February 28, 2008

Preventing a flare up

One thing I have learned to do is keep a list of foods that I cannot eat. This is the best way to prevent a flare up. Each person is different so you have to experiment to see which foods irritate your stomache. For me it is nuts, beans, garlic, fried foods and onions. This does not make eating fun that's for sure because I love nuts and hummus. I found out the hard way that hummus, though the beans used are crushed, does not agree with me. And eating out at a restaurant is a pain because it seems that everyone uses garlic and/or onions to prepare food. Now I am one of those people who request a special meal. It sucks having a condition like UC, but I have learned to live with it. At least I can still enjoy chocolate in small quantities. The time when I cannot eat chocolate is the time when I cease to enjoy life.

I am still taking Asacol in a reduced dosage and am doing well. Lucky for me I responded to this treatment. I need to see my doctor on a regular basis and get blood tests, but my life is much better now. My weight is back to normal though I would have liked to keep it down. That was my favorite part of having a flare--instant weight loss. I am able to exercise and do everything I was doing before my big flare. Not looking forward to the next colonoscopy, but at least I know I will never get colon cancer because having this procedure will detect it before it gets a chance to grow. I still get bummed when I think of what is happening to my body, but when I get down, I remember that I am relatively healthy and taking care of my body will help me from having any more huge flare ups. At least I hope so.

Stay healthy!

No comments: