Thursday, August 23, 2007

Keeping a positive attitude

I try to keep a positive attitude while dealing with this illness, but I admit that this is something I still need to work on. It is so easy to fall into depression after being diagnosed with a serious illness. It changes your life. My life has changed so much. I was already dealing with reactive arthritis, but I had that under control when this new bomb hit me. I feel like my body has betrayed me. I go back and forth from feeling positive to feeling doomed. My latest dark feelings about this have to do with the gloomy future I have of endless medical prodedures and medical bills. But if I think about it, why am I dwelling on what hasn't even happened yet? Many things could change before then. I already tend to think that 'the glass is half empty' anyway so I really need to work on being more positive.

Writing really helps me forget my own problems and escape into my characters' minds. It really is a useful tool for staying positive. I would suggest to people who don't do any creative writing to at least keep a journal to channel their negative feelings.

Another useful tool is watching a funny show like Everybody Loves Raymond. Laughter really is the best medicine. Or just take in a beautiful sunset or moonlit night. Stopping to live in the moment and admire the beauty of nature makes me forget my troubles.

That is my new mantra--Live in the moment and don't dwell on the future.

No comments: