Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Coping with a Flare

My colon is really mad at me right now. It’s been almost a year since I had my last flare and now here I am dealing with it all over again.

So, how do I cope with diarrhea that doesn’t respond well to regular, over-the-counter drugs? Well, I learned quickly that eating equals diarrhea. Duh. There is one food that seems to be soothing on the tummy and doesn’t move through me too fast—bananas. Not sure why because I read somewhere that bananas are a laxative. Not in my case. And that’s the weird thing about colitis. Everyone responds differently to foods and medications. It’s all about trial and error. Ginger Ale is also soothing to my tummy and helps with gas and bloating. Wheat crackers and strangely, cream cheese, are also foods I can eat when I have a flare. Cheese products and dairy products in general make me feel bloated so I’m not sure why I can eat cream cheese. I do eat the low fat kind so maybe that’s why. And sadly, I have to cut out chocolate during a flare, but I don’t really want chocolate when I’m flaring because my tummy hurts so it’s not too hard. I will make up for it when I feel better. You will learn what you can and can’t eat when flaring and chances are you won’t feel like eating certain foods. That’s your body’s way of telling you which foods are bad for you.

What do I do if I have to travel somewhere? Eek! Having to travel during a flare just plain sucks and is the worst part of having this disease. When I am flaring I have to stay home. There is nothing more embarrassing than having to use a public bathroom when you have explosive diarrhea. But, if I have to go somewhere, I wouldn’t eat or drink much and I would take Pepto-Bismol or Imodium A-D--if I didn’t have a prescription for Lomotil. When I had my first flare and didn’t have a clue what was happening to my body, Pepto-Bismol helped with the cramping and diarrhea. My doctor told me to avoid medicines with magnesium in them like Mylanta. You should always check with your doctor though before taking anything.

Here’s an important reminder: when you have that urge to go, get to the bathroom. This should be common sense, right? Wrong. I don’t know how many times I thought I could keep writing or reading emails a bit longer and then I have to sprint to the bathroom. Not a pretty sight. Me running. I’ve been told by my husband not to run because apparently I run funny. And when I run to the bathroom my dogs think I am playing and run alongside me, barking and trying to cut me off. Very dangerous. And annoying.

Oh, and wear pants that are easy to undo like elastic banded sweat pants. That makes things much more easier during a flare.

The only good side to having a flare is that I will lose some weight, but everything else about it sucks. Now I have to go through six weeks of nightly enemas. Wee! I can’t think of when I had more fun. Oh yeah, last year at about this time. I try to make the best of it because what else am I going to do? I can’t change what is happening to me. And I suppose it could be a lot worse.

Cheers and good health!

Colitis Chick

Discovery_Channel_Wolf_Poster_C10076615

My mad colon

No comments: